A group of teachers of English, belonging to different educational levels, have created APABAL: Associació de professors d’anglès de les Illes Balears, aiming to help gain more widespread consideration of the importance of teaching and learning the English language, as well as to support educational practices in this field.
The specific aims of the association are to:
1. Keep the level of professional and educational competence in our Autonomous Region up to date as regards not only those who teach English there, but also those who teach non-linguistic subjects in English. This will apply to all levels, whether in the public or private sector.
2. Promote the development of research on the teaching of English.
3. Facilitate communication between English teachers, to exchange experiences and ideas.
4. Gain more widespread acceptance of the importance of learning the English language. This will be done by means of courses and conferences, magazines, newsletters and media, as well as through any other activity that might fulfil the purpose mentioned above. In addition, the objective is to provide support towards good teaching practice in the English language teaching context.
To achieve these aims, the following types of activities will take place:
1. Courses, seminars, training workshops and activities to update methodology, language and culture.
2. Publications: Newsletters, magazines and other material.
3. Meetings between teachers and other people interested in language and Anglo-Saxon culture.
4. Projects at a local, national or international level.